Re: OT: RH and Debian brothers now?

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 08:01:12AM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 04:21:49PM +0200, Sven Hoexter wrote:
> > All your complains are right but they have _nothing_ to do witch apt-get!
> > Nor have they (with exception of point 1) something to do with rpm.
>
> Actually, they do.  Lack of standardised package names and mutual
> incompatability of RPMs between between distros.  Notice how Mandrake
> RPMs aren't Red Hat RPMs aren't SuSE RPMs.  Notice how Debian debs are
> Knoppix debs are Stormix debs are third party debs.

Installing third-party .debs on a Debian system has been known to cause
serious problems (in certain cases, obviously far from all). Those who
were around on debian-devel in 2000 or so will probably remember a
number of complications caused by Helix GNOME packages, and people
backporting large numbers of packages from unstable to stable can tell
you about the exciting incompatibilities they've run into.

In practice third parties creating Debian packages are practically
obliged to make them compatible with Debian or they'll run into
problems, and even then they can have subtle dependency issues. I don't
think this is the big win over RPMs that you're making it out to be.

Cheers,