Re: OT: RH and Debian brothers now?

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 02:15:18AM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 06:11:53PM +0200, Sven Hoexter wrote:
> > > 1) apt-rpm is a piece of shit compared to apt-get due to RPM
> > >    stupidity.
> > Aehm the only difference I can find from user standpoint is that
> > apt-rpm is slower cause auf the rpmlib.
>
> You're missing three issues that have not been resolved, nor will the
> be in the forseeable future:
>
> 1) Morons using dependancies against specific files.  Gotta love
>    having to create spaghetti filesystems just to install packages.
>
> 2) Fracturisation of the format.  RH, mdk, SuSE, and god knows who
>    else all use RPMs, none are terrably compatible with each other for
>    various reasons.
>
> 3) Lack of standardized package names.  You can have all the
>    dependancies installed and RPM wouldn't know it.  Yeah, you can
>    force it, but who really wants to routinely force things and leave
>    them to chance?
All your complains are right but they have _nothing_ to do witch apt-get!
Nor have they (with exception of point 1) something to do with rpm.

Please stand by the facts, point one is partly a problem of rpm
and partly RH. Afaik Conectiva has no file depends.
Point 2 and 3 are a cordination and standarisation issue and _not_
a problem of rpm or apt.

Sven
--
http://www.comboguano.de