Re: OT: RH and Debian brothers now?

On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 12:46, Sven Hoexter wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 12:05:30PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> > > Aehm the only difference I can find from user standpoint is that
> > > apt-rpm is slower cause auf the rpmlib.
> >
> > Does it also have Packages.gz?  I.e., the functionality of apt-cache?
> There are still bugs in this port but in generall it's useable.
> synaptic works, a bunch of apt-* tools are ported and apt-rpm itself
> has a few special features like the phyton bindings, lua scripting
> support and the apt-shell.
>
> IMHO the lousy "but my debian has apt-get install" argumentation
> is out of date for quite some time.

> [sven@wrack sven]$ apt-cache search ^apt*
> [...]
> apt-listchanges - Display new changelog entries from RPM packages
> apticron - apticron upgrade notify tool
> apt - Debian's Advanced Packaging Tool with RPM support
> apt-devel - Development files and documentation for APT's libapt-pkg
> apt4rpm - Create an APT repository
> [sven@wrack sven]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
> Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla)
> without further comments :)

I'd be interested to see what percentage of users use apt4rpm, and
if 3rd parties also organize their RPMs, so, like marrilat.fr on
"our side", they could be added to the RPM sources.list.

Also, how complete, and up-to-date are RPM apt repositories?

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"What other evidence do you have that they are terrorists, other
than that they trained in these camps?"
17-Sep-2002 Katie Couric to an FBI agent regarding the 5 men
arrested near Buffalo NY