Re: OT: RH and Debian brothers now?

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 01:38:30PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

Hi,
I think in generall this topic is a little bit off topic here.
If you feel that it doesn't belong here please write a PM.

> I'd be interested to see what percentage of users use apt4rpm, and
Well apt4rpm != apt-rpm.
apt4rpm [1] is a suit of scripts to manage your reps for apt-rpm.[2]

Well I think there are quite a few people out using apt-rpm on RH but
it's still a minority but the community is growing since I started
using it about 2 years ago.
On the other hand all Conectiva Linux users have apt-rpm installed cause
Conectiva ported it a long time ago und suggest to use apt-rpm to install
their updates/upgrades.

> if 3rd parties also organize their RPMs, so, like marrilat.fr on
> "our side", they could be added to the RPM sources.list.
Jupp we're doing this aswell. Matthias Saou has his famous
freshrpms.net (he is or was linked from the redhat website).
I've build up a small rep[3] at the company where I did my apprenticeship
with a focus on RedHat 7.3. I will stop this rep at the end of this year
cause RH drops their sec support for RH 7.3 then and  I'm not using RH
anymore cause I finished my apprenticeship in june this year.

ftp.gwdg.de has a very large archiv with packages from various sources
for SuSE.

> Also, how complete, and up-to-date are RPM apt repositories?
Well mine is a little bit out of date now cause I'm going to school
now as my new fulltime job. When I was paid for that work it was
always filled with the recent software we needed in the office.
freshrpms.net is always fresh ;)

Sven

[1] http://apt4rpm.sf.net
[2] https://moin.conectiva.com.br/AptRpm