Re: OT: Burned by domain name registrar for $150, suggestions?

On Friday 19 September 2003 19:29, Pigeon wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 03:56:03PM -0400, Mike Mueller wrote:
> > If the fee is a result of the domain name expiring and this is a
> > "special" reinstatement fee, then it seems usary to me.
>
> <pedant>
> Usury means interest. Perhaps "extortion"?
> </pedant>
> <ot-trivia>
> In days gone by English businessmen took seriously the many Biblical
> prohibitions of usury - and got around them by importing Jews to do it.
> </ot-trivia>

Mispelled and misused.  Inexcusable.

I found a reference that claims usuary was forbidden by Jews, Islamists, and
Christians (http://www.bartleby.com/65/in/interest.html).  Usuary can mean
the practive of charging more than the legal amount of interest.  It was this
sense of the word I was reaching for.  As you point out, however, the fee is
better described as extortion.

My English is a bit better now. Thank you.
--
Mike Mueller
324881 (08/20/2003)