Re: OT: Burned by domain name registrar for $150, suggestions?

On Friday 19 September 2003 01:25, Paul Mackinney wrote:
> My domain name registrar, Names4Ever.com, burned me be invoicing me at a
> stale email address, failing to contact me by phone or postal service,
> and canceling my domain name when I didn't renew. Now they tell me that
> to reinstate it I have to pay $150 that goes to ICANN/Network Solutions
> in order to remove it from "redemption" status. To add insult to injury,
> they made me send a check--they wouldn't accept a credit card because
> too many of their customers have been doing charge-backs on the $150
> fee.
>
> So I'm out $150 and all of my inbound email is bouncing until my domain
> name comes back on line. I'm totally PO'd, but as I understand it, my
> only other option is to wait a month or so until ICANN takes it out of
> "redemption" status and hope no one else snags my domain name. I can't
> afford to to this, I'm out of work and may already have lost job offers.

I am marveling at the $150 for a domain name.  I pay less than $10 each for
mine.  If the fee is a result of the domain name expiring and this is a
"special" reinstatement fee, then it seems usary to me.  However, they may be
well within their rights to act like complete jerks.

> My questions are:
>
> 1. Do I have any recourse agains Names4Ever, other than writing them
> nasty letters? They're based in San Diego, CA, also known as APlus.Net.

If so it would probably cost you more than it was worth to pursue.

> 2. Once my domain is registered again, can it be transfered to a
> different registrar without a loss of service. Recommendations? I'd like
> to go with a business that thinks you should make a second attempt to
> contact someone if an email bounces.

Yes.  I've done exactly this.  It takes a week or two to churn through the
system.  The change occured without _noticeable_ loss of service.  I was
responsible for ensuring the new resgistrar's records pointed to my web
host's servers.

I use a budget registrar from whom I expect no courtesy or special treatment.
I mark the anniversaries of my domains in a paper calender (I've broken two
Palm Pilots - I'm done with those gadgets).

Chaulk it up to training.  Training is not free (as in beer).  And you shared
it.

Hope you find work soon.  It sucks being between jobs involuntarily.  I know.
--
Mike Mueller
324881 (08/20/2003)