Re: MS mail bombs

On Sat, 2003-09-20 at 11:19, Carla Schroder wrote:
> On Friday 19 September 2003 11:58 pm, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On Sat, 2003-09-20 at 00:22, Steve Lamb wrote:

> > >     My solution has been exim4, exiscan-acl, clamav, spamassassin and
> > > liberal use of shorewall's blacklist.
> >
> > Does that prevent the emails from being downloaded from the ISP's
> > pop3 server in the 1st place?
> >
> > --
>
> No, this kind of setup is for someone running their own mailserver. There are
> two ways to process mail at the server on your ISP account. One is using
> Webmail, if they offer it. Log in and delete the crap out of it. :)
>
> The other way is a neat little trick I use on my ISP account-  limit the size
> of messages to download, I limit them to 2000 bytes. You can try different
> sizes to see what works. Then when I check mail a popup window appears
> showing a list of messages, with subject lines and the senders of any
> messages bigger than 2000 bytes. Then I can either leave them on the server,
> delete them, or download them. I don't know if all mail clients do this, it's
> worth checking out.

Well that's sweet.

I see that you use KMail.  Is it KMail that gives you this capability?

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

The purpose of the military isn't to pay your college tuition or
give you a little extra income; it's to "kill people and break things".
Surprisingly, not everyone understands that.