Re: MS mail bombs

On Friday 19 September 2003 11:58 pm, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-09-20 at 00:22, Steve Lamb wrote:
> > On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 23:08:42 -0600
> >
> > "Walt L. Williams" <wwilliams@intergate.com> wrote:
> > > Is there anyone else out there being mail bombed with emails
> > > that look like there from M$? The rate at which their coming
> > > is increasing exponentially.
> >
> >     My solution has been exim4, exiscan-acl, clamav, spamassassin and
> > liberal use of shorewall's blacklist.
>
> Does that prevent the emails from being downloaded from the ISP's
> pop3 server in the 1st place?
>
> --

No, this kind of setup is for someone running their own mailserver. There are
two ways to process mail at the server on your ISP account. One is using
Webmail, if they offer it. Log in and delete the crap out of it. :)

The other way is a neat little trick I use on my ISP account-  limit the size
of messages to download, I limit them to 2000 bytes. You can try different
sizes to see what works. Then when I check mail a popup window appears
showing a list of messages, with subject lines and the senders of any
messages bigger than 2000 bytes. Then I can either leave them on the server,
delete them, or download them. I don't know if all mail clients do this, it's
worth checking out.

--
Carla Schroder