Re: NAT

Adrian Berardi wrote:
Hi, i'm a new debian user, and without too much experience in linux.
I'm trying to install a Debian here at home to use it as internet access for a couple windows PCs. Someone told me that i had to install first the two eth, then configure the networkcards, then install dhcp3 (for the PCs to get a dinamic ip), and then do NAT (iptables) Everything worked OK, but it is not the case of the NAT: i can access internet from de debian, but i dont know how to configure or what to install for access internet from the windows PCs through the Debian.
Any comment will be kindly accepted.!
Best regards, Adrian
Adrian

that I recall, basic stuff you need is:

In your iptables init script you need to have this:

check if the file /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward is "1", if not then it wont allow packet forwarding

also I have something like this:
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j SNAT --to ipofyourdebianinternetinterface

And this:
iptables -P FORWARD -j ACCEPT

Though I am not an expert and you could get more info about routing/forwarding with iptables at http://netfilter.samba.org

Good luck