autoinstall & initrd size

I'm new to debian and I'm trying to setup autoinstall for the first
time.  I'm running stable with a custom 2.4.21 kernel.  When I run
make-autoinst-initrd the resulting initrd is too large so
make-autoinst-disk fails.  What's the best way to get a smaller initrd?

Incidentally, I searched this lists archives for autoinstall and found
very few posts.  Is autoinstall the best way to go for automated
installs?  I know FAI is another option.  I welcome your suggestions.
We are currently a RedHat shop using kickstart so as we switch to
debian, I want an automated install.

Thanks in advance.
--
Amy Tanner