Re: OT: email style flames, was: Can't mount cdrom

* Arnt Karlsen (arnt@c2i.net) [030916 19:44]:
> > Since we're all picking on each other's email styles; Arnt, what's up
> > with all the ellipses? (Been wanting to ask that for a while :-) )

"ellipses" is the plural of "ellipsis".  An ellipsis a punctuation mark
used to denote an omission, written "...".

See also http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=ellipsis
and http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=...

It's one of the most-often-misused punctuation marks.  A lot of people
tend to throw them around all over the place, especially in email and
usenet postings.  It reads as a string of disconnected clauses rather
than actual sentences, even when the thoughts would be complete
sentences if they had been separated by ".  " instead of "...".

Case in point: sometimes messages on this list read more coherently
through s/^\.+// s/\.+$// -- except of course for that URL I posted
above!

good times,
Vineet
--