Re: OT: email style flames, was: Can't mount cdrom

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 23:45:27 -0700,
Vineet Kumar <vineet@doorstop.net> wrote in message
<[🔎] 20030917064527.GA20516@doorstop.net>:

> * Arnt Karlsen (arnt@c2i.net) [030916 19:44]:

..what???  Where?  When?  Or, who?  ;-)

> > > Since we're all picking on each other's email styles; Arnt, what's
> > > up with all the ellipses? (Been wanting to ask that for a while
> > > :-) )
>
> "ellipses" is the plural of "ellipsis".  An ellipsis a punctuation
> mark used to denote an omission, written "...".
>
> See also http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=ellipsis
> and http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=...
>
> It's one of the most-often-misused punctuation marks.  A lot of people
> tend to throw them around all over the place, especially in email and
> usenet postings.  It reads as a string of disconnected clauses rather
> than actual sentences, even when the thoughts would be complete
> sentences if they had been separated by ".  " instead of "...".
>
> > ..huh?  ;-)
>
> Case in point: sometimes messages on this list read more coherently
> through s/^\.+// s/\.+$// -- except of course for that URL I posted
> above!

..interesting, our old wee Norse context hack has a Greek name for
the three young dots.  Perils of ditching all my grammar classes,
I'm afraid I never saw the need, I mean, Italian took me 5 days,
so obviously I missed this bit, thank you all.  :-)

..it appears it can be argued that the Greek name has a pretty nice
meaning contextually, in my wee context?  ;-)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: