Help! FATAL: kernel too old

Hi folks,

I think I have a hosed machine but maybe someone here is smart
enough to recover it.

I dusted off an old 2.0.x machine and decided to upgrade its
Debian install (I believe it was running pre-potato install).
Anyway, the first thing I did was upgrade libc6, libstdc++
and apt to the woody versions because the old apt was
complaining about various things.  I managed to do that
and proceeded to apt-get install aptitude kernel-source-2.4.21
(I have testing in sources.list).

Bad idea.  Something got partially upgraded (libc6?) before
the session crapped out with "FATAL: kernel too old."  Now I
can't even run "ls" or anything else on the machine.  Built-in
shell commands work ok (isn't `echo *' fun?).  I don't dare
reboot.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem?  I'm surprised apt
didn't complain about a dependecy problem.  Searching google
turned up some threads about compiling libc6 with old kernels
so that's what I'm guessing this is a libc6 issue.

I just moved so my e-mail infrastructure is not all there yet
(hence the need for the old box).  Please copy my e-mail address
on any replies as I'm not subscribed to the list.  Thanks for
understanding.

                       -Dave

--

"Some little people have music in them, but Fats, he was all music,
 and you know how big he was."  --  James P. Johnson