Re: Help! FATAL: kernel too old

on Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 11:40:24PM -0400, David A. Greene (greened@eecs.umich.edu) wrote:

> I dusted off an old 2.0.x machine and decided to upgrade its Debian
> install (I believe it was running pre-potato install).  Anyway, the
> first thing I did was upgrade libc6, libstdc++ and apt to the woody
> versions because the old apt was complaining about various things.  I
> managed to do that and proceeded to apt-get install aptitude
> kernel-source-2.4.21 (I have testing in sources.list).
>
> Bad idea.  Something got partially upgraded (libc6?) before the
> session crapped out with "FATAL: kernel too old."  Now I can't even
> run "ls" or anything else on the machine.  Built-in shell commands
> work ok (isn't `echo *' fun?).  I don't dare reboot.

Why not?

Try this as a first measure.

> Any ideas on how to solve this problem?  I'm surprised apt didn't
> complain about a dependecy problem.  Searching google turned up some
> threads about compiling libc6 with old kernels so that's what I'm
> guessing this is a libc6 issue.

Get yourself a bootable disk:  LNX-BBC, Knoppix, or Tom's Root Boot are
three of the better ones.

Boot the system with this disk.  If that works, grab and unpack modules
for components you need.  See if your system's recovered itself.  Figure
out what's missing.  Rinse, wash, repeat.

Peace.

    Defeat EU Software Patents!                         http://swpat.ffii.org/