Re: Video Card for Woody

On Son, 2003-09-14 at 14:46, Richard Otte wrote:

> My 550 is working fine, but I'm not completely sure that I'm using the matrox
> driver or if I'm using the XFree one.  I'm running testing (version 4.2.1.6 of
> xserver-common and xserver-xfree86).  In my XF86Config-4 file I have:
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "matrox 550"
>         Driver          "mga"
> EndSection
>
> and when I type lsmod I see:
> mga                   103384   1
>
> I know I did install the Matrox driver at one point, assume I'm still
> using it.  Could you let us know exactly how to use the XFree86 driver?
> What would the XFree86Config-4 file look like for each driver (and do I
> have to install some other module to use the XFree86 driver)?

To use the proprietary driver, simply run install.sh from the mgadrivers
tarball you can download at Matrox's site (BTW, there's a Beta 3
available now) and restart X

To use the free drivers, simply don't run install.sh :) or if you did,
restore them with 'sh install.sh restore'.

For the proprietary driver you must add
Option      "HWCursor" "off"
to the "Device" section in XF86Config-4, otherwise you get a big ugly
square instead of a mouse pointer.

They keep a backup of the free drivers on installation:
mario@sonic: ~ $ ls /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/mga*
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/mga_drv.o
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/mga_hal_drv.o
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/mga_drv.o.mgabck.1.0.0
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/mga_hal_drv.o.mgabck.1.0.0
mario@sonic: ~ $

If you don't have *mgabck* files, you probably run the free ones.

The mga module you see when running lsmod is not the card driver, but
the kernel DRM driver (in character devices section of the kernel
config). The kernel help says it's only for G200 and G400, but since it
gets loaded I assume it works :)

> Also, were you able to use the Matrox Powerdesk config tool; I was not
> able to get it working (or to get dvi to work with it).

Powerdesk runs only with the proprietary drivers. I don't have much use
for it, since I don't do Matrox's version of dualhead. IIRC it's nice to
set that up