Re: Video Card for Woody

On Sam, 2003-09-13 at 23:54, David Palmer wrote:
> On Sunday 14 September 2003 00:10, Brian C wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm having trouble getting my Matrox G550 working with Debian, because
> > it is not supported in the version of XFree86 that is installed with
> > Woody. I've successfully upgraded XFree86 to unstable but X still barfs
> > when I try to start it. (mga_hal module doesn't exist, etc.) Anyway,
> > that's not really the point, unless someone wants to tell me
> > step-by-step how they got their G550 working.

I'm using the X 4.2.1 backport to woody by Adrian bunk:
deb http://www.fs.tum.de/~bunk/debian woody/bunk-1 main contrib non-free
deb-src http://www.fs.tum.de/~bunk/debian woody/bunk-1 main contrib
non-free

Also included in the  Gnome 2.2 backport.
I did nothing special at all. It worked out of the box with both the
XFree driver and the Matrox-supplied driver.
My XF86Config-4 includes this:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "MATROX CARD 1"
        Driver      "mga"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

If you use the proprietary drivers, be sure to include
        Option      "HWCursor" "off"

in this section, too. I found that the XFree drivers worked better than
Matrox's drivers. I can't see anything Matrox's do better, on the
downside they can't use HWCursor and X needs longer to start up. It may
be that some stuff I don#t use like Xinerama and TV out are better or
only work with them, though.

If you use XFree's, you#ll get the message that mga_hal can't load, but
this does no harm - it's only needed for Matrox PowerDesk config tool,
availabel with their drivers. You can get the Matrox drivers here
http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/drivers/latest/home.cfm