Samsung usb gdi printer (ML-1710), system freezes periodically

Hi, I have the most recent release of Debian running with a very
recent version of the linux kernel, and I recently added a Samsung usb
printer (ML-1710). I had it up and running using the corrected *.ppd
file at linuxprinting.org, and I'm using cups and foomatic.

My problem is this: things will print quite happily (from acroread
usually, but the problem occurs while printing from other programs,
such as ted). Then, the whole system freezes up. The keyboard doesn't
work, nor the mouse -- nothing. I've had to just turn the whole thing
off several times, which has most recently left me with a real mess.

Has anyone encountered this or similar problems with USB printers and
Debian? With Samsungs, or this Samsung in particular? Any thoughts
you might have would be much appreciated!

My system is as follows:

Debian 3.0, Linux 2.4.21 kernel (I think? maybe 2.4.22, not sure, and
am still working on getting back into my system after mess noted
above)

Shuttle XPC SN45G
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2500, 1.87GHz, 333MHz FSB
Mainboard/Chipset: FN45, NVidia nforce2 ultra 400 ATX
RAM 1GB (2x512MB 184pin DIMM, DDR 333, PC2700)
Primary Master (hda, root on hda1): 2GB hd
Primary Slave: Samsung ATAPI 20x CDROM
Secondary Master (hdc, home on hdc1): 8GB hd
one PCI slot: Creative 56k v.92 PCI modem (controllerless)
one AGP slot: ASUS GeForce4 MX440 8x AGP, 64MB
onboard LAN, Firewire, USB
Printer: Samsung usb gdi ML-1710
Other stuff that might matter: using cups, foomatic, usbmgr, and Gnome
			       (including gdm) and sawfish

L.

Loren King
lking@mit.edu