Re: 'intelligent' mail filtering

On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 15:59, Pigeon wrote:
--snip--
> The filter. dman has a useful exim config hack that makes exim use the
> filter as a transport; this has been referred to on the list a few
> times recently. His example uses spamassassin, which can do Bayesian
> filtering as well as its other stuff.

Ok, I've decided to go with spamassassin as my mail filter. And just to
make sure that I don't have any lack of problems in the process, I
decided to simultaneously migrate to exim4 as well. :)

Now, here's a slight problem I've run across. Having read up on using
spamassassin with exim, I've seen LOTS and LOTS of mentions of sa-exim.
But from what I gather sa-exim is primarily used to reject spam while
the SMTP session is still open. This is actually NOT what I want. I want
to still receive spam, just have it go into a spam-only folder so I can
look through it occasionally and make sure that I don't have any real
mail there.

Now here's my current status:

I understand that using spamc/d is a good way to speed things up. Speed
is good, so I'd like to follow this approach.

I understand that using local_scan is also a good way to speed things up
by only looking at any given message once.

Now the problem being, how do I get local_scan to play nicely with
spamc/d? Or is this even necessary?

I'm currently using:

ii  spamassassin   2.55-4         Perl-based spam filter using text
analysis
ii  exim4-daemon-h 4.22-4         Exim (v4) with extended features,
including

(That's exim4-daemon-heavy.)

The instructions I've found in
/usr/share/doc/exim4-daemon-heavy/README.local_scan-perl and
localscan-install.html haven't really helped much as I'm still confused
about the whole local_scan + spamc/d issue.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837