Re: setting the default keyboard layout on boot

* Bjorn Hansen (bhansen@uvic.ca) [030911 17:34]:
> Hi
> I'm running testing, recently upgraded after being away for the summer, and
> when I boot my default keylayout is no longer set.
>
> It used to say something like "setting default keymap dvorak" - and I'd have
> a dvorak layout on login, now it says nothing and I've got qwerty.
>
> A little research indicated that I should be able to use install-keymap to
> set up my default.  But this seems to have no effect whatsoever.  Odd because
> 'loadkeys dvorak' will have the desired effect, but that doesn't fix my
> problem of the default.
>
> I even tried copying /usr/share/keymaps/i386/dvorak/dvorak.kmap.gz to
> /etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz , but no effect.  any ideas?

Yeah, try updating console-common to the unstable version.  I got bit by
this last week as well.  It has to do with correctly checking the result
of the call to fgconsole in /etc/init.d/keymap.sh .

Actually, before you go updating, you can try this to see if your
symptoms are the same as my system's:  after booting, log in and issue
sudo /etc/init.d/keymap.sh start, and it should work.  The call to
fgconsole succeeds differently after the system is booted up, everything
is mounted, and you're logged in on a tty.  So at this point, calling
keymap.sh start works fine.  At least, that's how it was on my system.
Updating conosle-common and conosle-tools to the unstable versions did
the trick.

good times,
Vineet
--