'intelligent' mail filtering

I've been MEANING to look into getting some sort of spam filter set up
on my mail server for quite a while now, but I've never quite gotten
around to it. Now I'm getting around to it. :)

I've heard of filters that can "learn" what is and isn't spam by having
you feed it anything you consider spam. What are people's experiences
with them? Are the useful/reliable? Any problems with false
negatives/positives?

Assuming that it is a useful way of dealing with spam, what's the best
way to implement it? I'm currently using exim as my MTA and courier-imap
(with a Maildir) to store and access the mail. What else would be needed
in order to implement the filter?
--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837