Re: setting the default keyboard layout on boot

on Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 05:16:34PM -0700, Bjorn Hansen (bhansen@uvic.ca) wrote:
> Hi
> I'm running testing, recently upgraded after being away for the
> summer, and when I boot my default keylayout is no longer set.
>
> It used to say something like "setting default keymap dvorak" - and
> I'd have a dvorak layout on login, now it says nothing and I've got
> qwerty.
>
> A little research indicated that I should be able to use
> install-keymap to set up my default.  But this seems to have no effect
> whatsoever.  Odd because 'loadkeys dvorak' will have the desired
> effect, but that doesn't fix my problem of the default.
>
> I even tried copying /usr/share/keymaps/i386/dvorak/dvorak.kmap.gz to
> /etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz , but no effect.  any ideas?

That last should work...unless you've also got console-tools installed.
I never can keep straight which overrides the other (or why both exist).

I'd suggest dpkg-reconfigure console-tools.  Not sure _what_ owns
/etc/console/

Peace.

    Defeat EU Software Patents!                         http://swpat.ffii.org/