Re: how to get a silent harddisk?

Silent hard disk?  Buy a Seagate barracuda with FDB.  I've got an
ST340016A, which runs at less than 2.5 bels (read: inaudible) even when
seeking.  They make larger models as well that don't go above 2.5bels as
well.  These drives are incredible.  Plus, they run cool, so if you have
variable-speed fans that will slow down, your whole box will be pretty
damned quiet (unless you've got high-RPM CPU/GPU fans and you keep the
box busy).

good times,
Vineet
--