Re: how to get a silent harddisk?

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 17:54:01 -0600 (MDT) "Jacob Anawalt" <jacob@cachevalley.com> wrote:
> Joachim Förster said:
> > Does anybody know, why squid uses the harddisk although its (empty disk
> > cache, logs and other status files are on the tmpfs)?
>
> I don't know why it uses the hard disk, but if it is only reading those
> files and there is enough memory that they are cached in the kernel file
> cache, then perhaps the atime is being updated and that is causing the
> disk to spin up?

Maybe, but the behavior of squid is always the same, no matter if I put the log files, the (read-only, empty) disk cache and the rest of squid's stuff in /var on the tmpfs or not.
Probably I forgot something to move to tmpfs, but outside of /var and /tmp there should be no place where programs write "/var" things?
When I shutdown squid there is almost no spinning up. (There is, in "bad" moments, when going online off offline by isdnutils, for example.)

> Are you mounting with the noatime option?

No, I'll try it.

> Maybe there's another http proxy that doesn't require any disk access?

I think so, but it should support transparent proxy. I think you can't take any proxy and use it as a transparent proxy, or am I wrong?

Thanks,
 Joachim