Re: installing a mixed system (stable/testing/unstable) under separate directories

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 10:35:35AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 11:19:35AM +0200, Alex Polite wrote:
> > Package pinning is driving my crazy. Every now and then I just have to
> > have something that is only available in testing or unstable. My
> > favorite option is to download the source, compile it myself and
> > install in /usr/local but every now and then it's a big thing like
> > evolution which has a gazillion dependencies.
> >
> > So I do apt-get -t unstable <package>
> >
> > Almost without exemption this will lead to hairy dependency
> > problems.
>
> This is a very bad idea, as you've found out. It's much easier to find a
> backport (see http://www.apt-get.org/, for instance) or produce one
> yourself.

Yep.  With deb-src: in sources.list

# apt-get build-dep <package>
# apt-get -b source <package>
# dpkg -i *.deb

> I wish pinning didn't exist.

It is a good tool to pull-in unstable into testing but ... I have to
agree on your feeling to some extent.

Once you install any C programs, they pull in latest libc...

> > I want to install stable, testing and unstable under separate
> > directories. All stable packs, configuration files etc goes under
> > /stable, testing packs goes under /testing and so on.
>
> You could set up chroots like this using debootstrap. (Just be sure to
> use the unstable version; earlier versions aren't guaranteed to be able
> to install testing or unstable.) You might have to do ssh X forwarding
> or something to run X clients from inside the chroot, though.

Or UML.  But to be honest, upgrade to simple testing or un stable may be
easier than doing things like this. :)

Osamu