installing a mixed system (stable/testing/unstable) under separate directories

Package pinning is driving my crazy. Every now and then I just have to
have something that is only available in testing or unstable. My
favorite option is to download the source, compile it myself and
install in /usr/local but every now and then it's a big thing like
evolution which has a gazillion dependencies.

So I do apt-get -t unstable <package>

Almost without exemption this will lead to hairy dependency
problems.

Here's what I'd like to do instead.

I want to install stable, testing and unstable under separate
directories. All stable packs, configuration files etc goes under
/stable, testing packs goes under /testing and so on.

Sure this will waste a lot of disk space, because libc6 and a lot of
other core packs will be in three places. But what do I care. Disk
space is a lot cheaper than my time.

Anyway to hack this?

alex

--