Re: Not-so-strange question about bind

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 18:00:15 +0200, Ismael Valladolid Torres wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can I install a simple bind package, and with it, run two bind daemons
> on different ports serving the same domain using different zone files?
Why different ports? For your problem it is probably best to serve on
different interfaces/IPs

> I am thinking of using the same machine to resolve the same machine
> names into a different set of IP addresses, internal ones for Intranet
> use, and the "visible" external one for external use.
Probably you have to interfaces: one external and one internal. You will
need two seperated bind configuration directories (just copy
/etc/bind(9)). Then you need a (slightly modified) copy of
/etc/init.d/bind(9). You can use the option listen-on in your bind configuration
to restrict both binds to one IP address.

> I suppose, in the worst case, I could install both bind and bind9,
> hoping they don't conflict.
They do conflict, of course.
Maybe you should run your external bind chrooted and as user to enhance
security. (google will find some howtos).