Re: Mousey broken

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:00:13 +0200, Willem.Smit wrote:

> > Well... you're using the USB device (/dev/input/mice) and the mouse is
> > plugged into the PS/2 port (/dev/psaux). What do you expect :-)
>
> Only one question - why the hell does my mouse work through
> /dev/input/mice on 2.6.0 ???

Your mouse operates under /dev/input/mice when plugged into the PS/2 port?
Jesus, they fixed the PS/2 driver in 2.6 :-)

> Another thing - I installed gpm last night and ran gpmconfig - it found
> nada on /dev/psaux. Added to that - no matter which device file I use:
> If the mouse driver initialized properly my optical mouse's light
> would've come on. It does on 2.6.0 not on 2.4.22.

What mouse protocol did you use? MS Optical probably means either ImPS/2
or ExplorerPS/2 should work.

> > BTW: USB mice work fine with Linux 2.4.
>
> I know and that's what pees me off so much. On RedHat I had no problems
> whatsoever.

Well... I've got no problems on Debian :-)  YMMV.

> I really think i'm missing something very stupid here, but i can almost
> guarantee that I've got the right kernel config. I've modprobed mousedev
> like Bob suggested and at first it wasn't there , cause i compiled the
> module into the kernel at first. If you checked my dmesg files you

Sorry, I can't. I'm reading debian-user through the NNTP gateway which
seems to strip attachments.

> would've seen that the module was in fact there and did start up.
> Anyway's
> I ripped it out of the kernel and compiled as a module to no avail. Same
> problem... Forget about the USB part - as long as i can get the mouse to
> work through the PS/2 port - i'll worry about USB later.

Some suggestions (I have no definitive list of required modules, I'm
compiling the mouse modules statically):

* A module which runs your USB hub. Called UHCI, OHCI, EHCI or $WHATEVER.

* usbmouse, mousedev, evdev, hid, input. Try loading them all, but I think
usbmouse is the correct one.

This assumes a 2.4 kernel, I'm not familiar with 2.6 yet.

> I'll really appreciate it if anyone can have a look at these to kernel
> configuration files. The one is for 2.6.0 on which mousey works the
> other for 2.4.22 on which it doesn't. I can't seem to find any
> differences in the mouse config parts...
>
> off topic question: Does sid come with xfree86 4.3 ? Thanx a bunch guys

Sid currently has 4.2. I think 4.3 is in experimental.

--
Best Regards,   |   Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
 Sebastian      |   your ~/.signature to help me spread!