Re: Mousey broken

Willem.Smit@sanlam.co.za wrote:

Only one question - why the hell does my mouse work through /dev/input/mice
on 2.6.0 ???

Because perhaps the kernel has static support for USB? Different modules compiled into kernel instead?

Another thing - I installed gpm last night and ran gpmconfig - it found
nada on /dev/psaux. Added to that - no matter which device file I use: If
the mouse driver initialized properly my optical mouse's light would've
come on. It does on 2.6.0 not on 2.4.22.

gpm is not a mouse driver. Until you get the mouse working, gpm is useless.

BTW: USB mice work fine with Linux 2.4.

I know and that's what pees me off so much. On RedHat I had no problems
whatsoever.

Redhat is different :) Arguably their hardware detection is much better. Fortunately you can use kudzu if you want. You could also apt-get install discover and see if that loads up some missing modules.

I really think i'm missing something very stupid here, but i can almost
guarantee that I've got the right kernel config.
I've modprobed mousedev like Bob suggested and at first it wasn't there ,
cause i compiled the module into the kernel at first. If you checked my
dmesg files you would've seen that the module was in fact there and did
start up. Anyway's I ripped it out of the kernel and compiled as a module
to no avail. Same problem... Forget about the USB part - as long as i can
get the mouse to work through the PS/2 port - i'll worry about USB later.

The stock debian kernel supports ps2/usb mice if you installed the bf2.4 kernel. I think you're flailing about needlessly with recompiling the kernel. The trick with usb is the order in which the modules are loaded. The usb controler needs to be initialized, then I think its input, hid, followed by mousedev. If I were you, I'd drop back to the default 2.4 kernel if you have it installed, then give discover or kudzu a shot. Baring that, check out linux-usb.org. I use usb mice at home, they worked fine in stable. If you want better hardware detection at install time (and I know many people who do), check out one of the debian derivatives that has better hw detection. It saves tons of agravation later.

I'll really appreciate it if anyone can have a look at these to kernel
configuration files. The one is for 2.6.0 on which mousey works the other
for 2.4.22 on which it doesn't. I can't seem to find any differences in the
mouse config parts...

off topic question: Does sid come with xfree86 4.3 ?
Thanx a bunch guys

4.3 isnt in sid yet, I dont think. I'm running an install based on libranet, so I already have 4.3.

--

Mental (Mental@NeverLight.com)

"The Torah...  The Gospels...  The Koran...
Each claimed as the infallible word of GOD.
Misquoted, misinterpreted, misunderstood, and misapplied.
Maybe that's why he doesn't do any more interviews." - sinfest.net

CARPE NOCTEM, QUAM MINIMUM CREDULA POSTERO.

GPG public key: http://www.neverlight.com/pas/Mental.asc