Re: Howto set up SB live 5.1?

On Wednesday 10 September 2003 06.20, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> Sorry, but I accidentally deleted your previous reply. As it wasn't on
> list, I'm also taking the opportunity to put us back on-list with the
> discussion.
>
> If OSS is working but ALSA isn't, that's a problem. OSS should not be
> working at all, except through the ALSA-provided OSS compatibility
> support. If OSS is functioning independently, you need to unload the
> kernel modules for OSS.
>
> i.e. modprobe -r emu10k1
>
> After that, you'll want to make sure that you have the appropriate ALSA
> drivers loaded:
>
> modprobe snd-emu10k1
>
> If after this you still get a device not found error, you'll need to
> check that you have ALSA set up correctly for whatever it is that you
> happen to be using it for. As an example, in my ALSA plugin for XMMS, I
> have the following:
>
> Audio device: EMU10K1
>
> Mixer card: 0
>
> Mixer device PCM
>
> If you don't want to use ALSA and would prefer to stick with OSS, you'll
> need to wait for someone else to reply as I haven't used OSS in well
> over a year now.

Thanx, it worked. Now I have a newbie question: When I restarted the computer,
I had to redo this modprobe thing. How do I make it permanent. Also, I need a
config file for alsamixer as it has way too much settings to try them all out
(did that once, don't want to try again). The settings arte preferably for a
5.1 speaker sytem.

Thanx for the help.