Howto set up SB live 5.1?

Hi!

I've been a Mandrake user for 2 years, and now I'm experimenting with Debian.
I like it very much so far, only having trouble with sound and Nvidia.

So, my problem is:

I upgraded to sid, and I do have sound, but it is not working as I expected.
In mandrake I only had to unmute it and set up all the sliders in kmix to
utilize all six speakers (2front, 2rear, center+sub). I still have the kmix
settings but they do not work :-)

Right now the 2 front and 2 rear speakers work only, and the volume slider on
the speakers (its a philips thingy) have only minimal effect.

Any ideas howto set up the sound right?

Thanx

Tenchi