Re: Problems installing Debian on PIII using Adaptec 2400A RAID 5 array as boot drive

On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 07:11, Derek Chew En-Hock wrote:
> With a heavy heart, I attempted install Redhat 9 on my machine and it
> automatically detected the Adaptec 2400A and installed flawlessly... I
> guess installing Debian on this machine maybe beyond my current
> abilities...
>
> Does anyone know of a way I can extract the drivers from the Redhat
> disc or boot disc and use it to help in the Debian Installation? feel
> a little uncomfortable moving away from my comfy Debian machines...

You need CONFIG_SCSI_DPT_I2O set in the kernel.

The woody install disks' bf24 kernel does not have this included, so you
need to build a kernel for it.  If the RAID card has the only disks,
this gives you a bootstrapping problem; I can provide you with a
kernel-image deb for such a kernel, but you would need to be in a
position to run dpkg in order to make use of it.

I had to build a new bootable CD in order to get Debian loaded onto the
machine in question.

     "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil,
      and he will flee from you."        James 4:7