Re: Problems installing Debian on PIII using Adaptec 2400A RAID 5 array as boot drive

Hey Guys,

I still having big problems with this machine... I tried redoing the
setup again this time using EXT3 for the root partition incase I
messed up something else but still no go... did quite a fair bit of
google groups searching but no one else seems to have this issue...
don't tell me I have to give up using Debian on this machine???!!!

DCEH> Hi Everyone,

DCEH> been using Debian for about 7 months now and loving every minute of
DCEH> it... so far, I managed to install Debian on more than 10 machines
DCEH> (some my own, some in the office and some for friends whom I'm trying
DCEH> to encourage to use Linux) and so far besides some quirks, the
DCEH> experience has been quite good... In fact, a few months ago, I shifted
DCEH> from using my Win XP machine to my Debian Machine as my main machine
DCEH> at home... while my XP Machine is just left for me to play EVE-online
DCEH> :)

DCEH> Anyway, recently I was handed a PIII Machine which has a 3 disk RAID 5
DCEH> array created using an Adaptec 2400A IDE RAID Controller... I wanted
DCEH> to install Debian on it for use as an Intranet Web Server for the
DCEH> office... Well, I booted off the Debian 3.0 Disc 1, used the bf24
DCEH> option and discovered that I could not find any hard drives on
DCEH> board... looking around the USENET for clues, I found out that you
DCEH> needed to use a floppy to load in the required modules to get Debian
DCEH> to recognise the RAID Controller.. I managed to find a floppy image at
DCEH> http://people.debian.org/~blade/install/preload/ and it managed to
DCEH> allow my Debian installation to happily detect the RAID Controller...
DCEH> I then proceeded to partition my disk as follows:

DCEH> /dev/sda0 /boot ext2          700 MB
DCEH> /dev/sda1 /     Reisfer FS    110 GB
DCEH> /dev/sd3  SWAP                1.2 GB

DCEH> I set a swap partition to 1.2 GB as I have 512 Meg of RAM and I think
DCEH> I read somewhere that you should have a swap partition with a minimum
DCEH> of twice your available RAM right?

DCEH> Anyway, I made /dev/sda0 bootable and rebooted the machine... what
DCEH> greeted me was a blinking cursor and a beeping sound...

DCEH> I also tried to reinstall and add the some RAID5 kernel modules during
DCEH> the setup but that doesn't help either...

DCEH> Any suggestions any one? Apparently there isn't much people on USENET
DCEH> with 2400A Linux machines as I could only find a few posting and their
DCEH> situations doesn't help mine much...

DCEH> --
DCEH> Best regards,
DCEH>  Derek                          mailto:sdchew@ieee.org

--