Re: Debian app to read some MS file format?

* Pigeon (jah.pigeon@ukonline.co.uk) [030908 20:32]:
> I did find HTML tags like
>
> <META name="oracleid" value="229934">
> <META name="tocpath" value="1::Book 2;1::Electronic Components;1::Component Packaging - miniReelTM, Reels & Tubes;1::Capacitor/Resistor Networks">
> <META name="smd_tiff" value="">
> <META name="PageNo" value="">
>
> in one of the .dat files, though only that one - perhaps an Oracle
> database is involved? From what I can make out, dbishell can read
> Oracle data, but it needs a perl module DBD::Oracle to be built, which
> requires some of the proprietary Oracle code. So it looks like I may
> be out of luck. In any case, dbishell is a command-line tool, and I
> need a graphical app to read the graphical data.

I was thinking that these were some kind of database storage files, and
given the oracleid up there, I'd go along with your guess that it's
Oracle.  There's no good reason I can think of why Farnell wouldn't be
able to just tell you "they're Oracle files", though.

In case you do want to give it a try, you can download Oracle for linux
gratis from oracle.com.  You shouldn't have to purchase a license for
the type of usage you're talking about (but IANAL).

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/