Debian app to read some MS file format?

I've just been given a copy of the Farnell Electronics catalogue CD.
This has the unfortunate design of wanting to install some Windoze
package in order to read the catalogue.

I suspect that they've used a customised version of something fairly
common in the M$ world; the CD has a number of directories named
things like 'datadb', 'tabledb', 'worddb', containing files with the
suffices '.dat' and '.idx'.

The '.idx' files are all non-human-readable binary, with a certain
regularity as one might expect from what is presumably an index file;
some of them have near the end the letters of the alphabet
interspersed with = signs. The '.dat' files are a mixture, some being
almost entirely binary, some almost entirely text, some mostly binary
with a few lines of HTML every few K which seem to be product
descriptions or section headings of some sort.

The CD has the following .dlls, although these may only be for the
installer?
./aasicl7.dll
./aasparse.dll
./aasutil.dll
./ani/xtras/dirapi.dll
./ani/xtras/iml32.dll
./ani/xtras/msvcrt.dll
./ani/xtras/proj.dll
./ani/xtras/projctrc.dll
./bin/hlp256.dll
./bin/lfbmp70w.dll
./bin/lfcmp70w.dll
./bin/lfgif70w.dll
./bin/lfpng70w.dll
./bin/ltfil70w.dll
./bin/ltkrn70w.dll
./bin/mfcoleui.dll
./c61adll.dll
./help/rhgbtn16.dll
./romware.dll
./sfttree.dll
./sfttree_ix86_a_45.dll
./shfolder.dll

Could anyone who recognises this format, and knows of a Debian or
other Linux app that can read it, please let me know?

Thanks,

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons