Re: Debian app to read some MS file format?

On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 08:02:24PM +0100, Pigeon wrote:
> I've just been given a copy of the Farnell Electronics catalogue CD.
> This has the unfortunate design of wanting to install some Windoze
> package in order to read the catalogue.
>
> I suspect that they've used a customised version of something fairly
> common in the M$ world; the CD has a number of directories named
> things like 'datadb', 'tabledb', 'worddb', containing files with the
> suffices '.dat' and '.idx'.

IIRC, the Adobe Acrobat catalog utility uses file names like this.
This utility is used to make a full-text searchable index of a PDF
collection. Perhaps there's another directory tree containing a bunch
of PDFs.

You have to use a version of Acrobat Reader with Search built in to
access this index, but the linux version lacks this. You shuld still
be able to view the PDFs with linux Acrobat, xpdf or ghostscript
without the search capability.

HTH
dt

--
Dave Thayer           | If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about
Denver, Colorado USA  | cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all