Laptop with new X server

Dear all,

I have a IBM Thinkpad X21, and installed Debian unstable in it.  In the
previous versions of X servers (including the 3.3.2 version currently in
unstable using xserver-mach64), I can switch between using CRT and LCD
monitor by pressing the Fn-F7 sequence, but somehow I failed to do so in the
current X server (using the ati driver with the xserver-xfree86 package).
If I start X with no CRT connected to it, the panel will be used, and after
that even if I connect a CRT and press Fn-F7 there is no response at all
(rather than switching to CRT and then both CRT+LCD).  Does anybody have the
same experience, and know how to deal with the problem?

Regards,
Isaac.