Iptables: External traceroute works. Internal doesn't.

I'm using gShield to configure iptables.

If I do a traceroute from my internal NAT'ed LAN the first hop is the
firewall machine.  That machine doesn't respond and shows "* * *" for
the times.  But machines *after* respond fine.

But if I traceroute from the outside to my firewall/NAT machine then
that machine responds.

In my INPUT chain I have:

ACCEPT     icmp --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0          limit: avg 1/sec burst 5

And in OUTPUT I have:

DROP       icmp --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0          state INVALID

If you are familiar with gshield, in my gShield.conf file I have:

ICMP_ALLOW_ALL="YES"
ICMP_RATE="60/m"
ICMP_LOG="YES"
TRACE_ALLOW_ALL="YES"

And when I try traceroute from the internal lan I do not see anything
logged.

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley