Re: Howto set up SB live 5.1?

On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 16:38, Baka Tamas wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've been a Mandrake user for 2 years, and now I'm experimenting with Debian.
> I like it very much so far, only having trouble with sound and Nvidia.
>
> So, my problem is:
>
> I upgraded to sid, and I do have sound, but it is not working as I expected.
> In mandrake I only had to unmute it and set up all the sliders in kmix to
> utilize all six speakers (2front, 2rear, center+sub). I still have the kmix
> settings but they do not work :-)
>
> Right now the 2 front and 2 rear speakers work only, and the volume slider on
> the speakers (its a philips thingy) have only minimal effect.
>
> Any ideas howto set up the sound right?

Well, for starters, are you using the OSS drivers or the ALSA drivers?
That's going to make a big difference. In my experience, getting the OSS
drivers working with an SB live is very painless, but the ALSA drivers
work much better with much better control. If you're currently using
OSS, I'd strongly suggest switching to ALSA and then seeing what the
situation is like.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837