Re: Broken Zope, Python, xbase-clients, etc

Russ Cook wrote:
Hi Russell,
  Thanks for the continued help.  I tried the command
you suggested, and the result is in the attached
script file.  Still no luck.

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003, Russell Shaw wrote:

Russ Cook wrote:

Russell,
 The sources.list file was OK, but it referenced a local
mirror for apt-move, which wasn't valid yet.  I corrected
that, and ran 'apt-get update' again, and then ran
apt-get install -t testing zope, as you recommend.  Attached
is that script file.  The errors are essentially the same.
Can you or anyone else offer more suggestions?  I would be
very grateful.

(Reading database ... 64003 files and directories currently installed.)^M
Preparing to replace zope 2.3.3-1 (using .../zope_2.6.1-10_i386.deb) ...^M
dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 1^M
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...^M
invoke-rc.d: initscript zope, action "stop" failed.^M
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/zope_2.6.1-10_i386.deb (--unpack):^M
 subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1^M

dpkg -r --force-remove-reinstreq --force-depends zope
apt-get install zope

Removing zope ...
dpkg: error processing zope (--remove):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
/usr/lib/python1.5/py_compile.py:54: DeprecationWarning: strop functions are obsolete; use string methods
  codestring = string.replace(codestring,"\r\n","\n")

Zope assumes a later version of python:

stable: http://packages.debian.org/stable/web/zope.html

 [depends] python (>= 2.1.3-1)
    An interactive object-oriented scripting language (default version)
 [depends] python (<< 2.2)
    An interactive object-oriented scripting language (default version)

testing: http://packages.debian.org/testing/web/zope.html

[depends] python2.1 (>= 2.1.3-1)
    An interactive high-level object-oriented language (version 2.1)

So,
apt-get update
apt-get install <appropriate python>  (this should auto-deinstall 1.5)
apt-get install --reinstall [--fix-broken] zope