Re: Tips for serial terminal & file transfer?

on Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 08:19:33AM +0100, Karl E. Jorgensen (karl@jorgensen.com) wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 12:41:24PM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > I'm trying to bootstrap an old 486 Thinkpad.  It's got two PCMCIA slots,
> > and might make a decent gateway.

> Why not run a laplink cable and run pppd at both ends? (remember to
> specify "local" to pppd).  Or even plip?
>
> It won't be fast, but it should be much less cumbersome than
> uuenconde/shar or whatever.

Waddyaknow (not much, you?).  PLIP works.  Sorta.

I get some long periods of timeout, but currently have an ssh session
into the box.  I don't know if this is going to be feasible...

I've played a tad with plipconfig, upping nibble and trigger to 6000 and
1000 (twice their defaults) on both sides of the link.  Frankly, I'm not
sure if this helps or not.  Hrm.  Upped it again to 12000/2000.
Definitely dicey.

Again, thoughts appreciated.

Peace.

    Defeat EU Software Patents!                         http://swpat.ffii.org/