Re: mutt: thread reconstruction?

on Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 03:10:54PM -0700, Vineet Kumar (debian-user@virtual.doorstop.net) wrote:
> * Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) [030905 14:55]:
> > on Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 01:26:14AM -0700, Paul Johnson (baloo@ursine.ca) wrote:
> > >
> > > Tag the message you want to attach to, scroll down to the top message
> > > in the other thread fragment and hit &
> >
> > Ah, so an inverse "break thread".
> >
> > OK, is there a way to do this in bulk, in a way other than simply
> > tagging all messages with a common subject as being threaded replies ,
> > one-level deep, of a single initial post?  I don't see this.
>
> If strict_threads is unset (which it is by default) mutt should do this
> automatically.  If you haven't set strict_threads and you're still not
> getting this behavior, check your reply_regexp and sort_re settings.

See the screenshots posted previously.

For reply_regexp to work properly, 'Re:', etc, needs to be the string
start.  This list is inserting '[listname]' *prior* to the 'Re',
apparently deleting the prior instance of '[listname]' in the reply (I'm
starting to like CommuniGate Pro less and less).  Again, I could apply
my own header rewriting rules, but....

OK, partial fix.  I've stripped the [listname] component from the list
subject.  Procmail:

    :0
    * ^Sender: CNI-COPYRIGHT
    {
        :0
        { SUBJ_=`formail -c -xSubject: \
            | sed -e 's/\[CNI-(C)\]//g'` }

        :0 fhwi
        | formail -I"Subject: ${SUBJ_}"

        :0:
        Legal/cni-copyright/
    }

Doesn't do proper threading, but at least topics are grouped by
subject/date.

Peace.

    "This must be Thursday," said Arthur musing to himself, sinking low
    over his beer, "I never could get the hang of Thursdays."
    -- HHGTG