mutt: thread reconstruction?

I'm subscribed to a mailing list in which message-ID and references are
being rewritten by an utterly broken mailing list manager (Communigate
Pro).  This breaks threading badly:

    http://guildenstern.dyndns.org/~karsten/cni-thread.png
    http://guildenstern.dyndns.org/~karsten/cni-nothread.png

Both the Message-ID and References headers are being munged.

I'd like suggestions on how I might go about restoring at least
pseudo-threading of articles, though I'm also posting to the list on
this matter.

Peace.

    Windows Refund Day II:  fight for your right to refund
    http://www.windowsrefund.net/