dynamic dns IP assignment from behind router

Hi folks,

I'm trying to get a dynamic dns client working on my home machines.
The home connection is dsl (bell sympatico in Canada), and works fine,
but the IP seems to be changing more often nowadays than it used to.
I've set up a little network between my office and my home, so it's
somewhat important for me to have some way of knowing what my home IP
is when I'm at work...  dynamic dns seems to be the answer.

At home, 3 computers (1 debian desktop, one debian laptop, one windoze
xp laptop) sit behind an SMC Barricade router.  IP assignment on this
intranet seems to work fine, and I only mention it b/c I suspect the
router plays into some of my difficulties (see below).

So I went and got an account at dyndns.org (mmtprice.dyndns.org). Set
up through their web interface works without a hitch, and I'm able to
change the IP address assigned to the domain name instantaneously on
the web site.  I verified this from a couple of different computers
using ping.

Unfortunately, though, I haven't yet been able to get any of the
dynamic dns clients available in debian to actually remap the hostname
correctly.  I've tried and failed with both ddclient and ipcheck,
leading me to wonder whether (a) I'm missing some basic point, or (b)
there's some serious problem with my setup.

-- neither script seems to be able to interact well with my router,
though both have switches that are meant to get IP data from the SMC router.

-- so I've resorted to using "checkip.dyndns.org" to figure out what
my IP address is.

--ddclient seems to be ble to figure out the address, but as far as I
can tell it doesn't actually SET the IP at dyndns.org.  Unfortunately
ddclient doesn't have very verbose messaging, so I'm not exactly sure
what's going wrong.  One thing I noticed is that I do not get an error
message if I change my username or password, suggesting to me that
whatever goes wrong happens before this stage.

For reference, here's my /etc/ddclient.conf
# Configuration file for ddclient generated by debconf
#
# /etc/ddclient.conf

pid=/var/run/ddclient.pid
protocol=dyndns2
# use=if, if=
server=members.dyndns.org
login=WishYouKnew
password=NotTelling
# use=smc-barricade, fw=192.168.2.1:80
# fw-login=admin
# fw-password=WontSay
use=web, web=checkip.dyndns.org, fw-skip='IP Address' mercey.dyndns.org mprice.dyndns.org

-------------

ddclient gives the following responses:

# ddclient -daemon=0 -query
use=if, if=eth0 address is 192.168.2.198
use=if, if=lo address is 127.0.0.1
use=web, web=dyndns address is 67.69.252.101
                               ^^^^^^^
				this is the address I want

# ddclient -daemon=0
WARNING:  unable to determine IP address

Isn't that kinda wierd?

Anyone know what's going on?

thanks as always,

matt