Re: Best approach for SAMBA server with ACLs?

On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 14:06, Hans Wilmer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I´m trying to figure out what the best approach may be to set up a SAMBA
> server with Woody that provides ACLs so that access rights could be
> specified in detail.
>
> In an announcement of the 2.6.x kernels, I´ve read that these kernels will
> come readily with ACL support for ext3fs. Does anyone know where I can find
> more information about the current state of development?

google?

> XFS already has ACL support built in, and in some 2.4.x kernels (2.4.18?),
> XFS came in the standard kernel. But it was removed from later kernels for
> unknown reasons, and I´d prefer using ext3 rather than XFS because ext3 is
> easier in handling, thus it´s less prone to errors and loss of data. (Once
>    I tried XFS and destroyed some data on XFS partitions, probably by
> specifying incorrect parameters when remounting those partitions ...)

I have been using ext3 + acls with good results on a samba server that
serves profiles and home dirs for ~300 users for the past 8-9 months.

> How does SAMBA interact with ACLs?

There is no short/simple answer. Samba can use ACL's, for info on
exactly how to do so, first understand acls. Next understand winbind (if
you are on an NT domain). That should do it. The samba documentation is
pretty good.

> Is there some documentation about this topic? It would be nice if someone
> could point me to the right direction ... Hm, I´m seeking for the easiest
> and most reliable way on this, as (creating unneccessary chances of)
> loosing data is not exactly an option :)

http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html

-Mark