Re: open office spell checking

Roy Pluschke wrote:

[...snip...]

I think  either something wasn't installed right or at all (maybe
myspell-en-us) or you're not using english and there is an issue with
another language, or something is failing on the update/install so the
spell check fails or you are seeing a different problem with the
spelling checker.

If it's some other use of the spelling checker, let me know and I'll try
on my system.

Jacob thank you for posting the list of new packages to be installed. I installed OOo along time ago and have just been updating and upgrading since then. My problem was the package "myspell-en-us" was not installed - I guess a dependancy got lost somewhere during upgrading. Everything is working fine now:)

thanks again
R. Pluschke

I'm glad to hear it worked. :)

I bet what happened was somewhere along the line they broke out the spelling checker to myspell or decided to use an external package but set the dependancy as suggested and not required (which seems ok to me). On your apt-get upgrade the suggestion for myspell-en-us was not made like it is using dselect to install the package fresh after the dependancy. I think a similar thing happenened causing me to not get get bzip2 which is suggested by tar. Tar was put in by base, but no matter how often I upgrade it with apt-get, it wouldn't suggest bzip2 since it isn't required.

Anyone have tips on how to avoid this? Is another aptish (quick from the command line) dpkging tool out there that points out suggested related packages on an upgrade?

Jacob