Re: Command line printing

Wayne Gemmell wrote:
Hi

You seem to be tackling many problems at once.
First get the network printing to work, and then OOo.
Also, from what you wrote below, I assume you use CUPS instead of Samba
for network printing.

	Can you use cups to print from a win$ computer?

Ah, that way around. So the printer is attached to the linux-box.

Oo seems to need a commandline input and
this is what I'm starting with and also where my confusion begins.
A few questions,
Which package is lp part of?

If you are using CUPS, cupsys-bsd will give you the commandline
printingcommands (so-called BSD-style) like lpr, lpq, lprm.
'lp' is the name of the default printer in unix-systems.
So if you have cupsys-bsd installed and named your printer lp, regular
programs (and OOo) should give you no problems.

[server-error-service-unavailable]

According to:
http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2002-Jul/0797.html
this should be a permission problem. Even though it is a SuSE-list, the solution should also apply to cups on debian.

	No errors are picked up in the cups error log with max debugging set.

Probably because it is not considered an error, but a security-thing: Somebody tried to print, but he is not allowed. Might be in another log, maybe.

[...]

3. Why is Samba being used?

	Windows connectivity

Remember that you might have to use a PS-driver in Windows if you print to a cups-queue. (Or set up a raw-queue in cups to print with a driver specific to your printer)

HTH,

Stefan