Debian Networking problems

I have just recently installed and set up a Debian GNU/Linux machine....
I know for a fact that the Network card is working, as I downloaded and installed things with apt-get......

Now, I can't connect to the Debian server, from my WinXP computer, via our local network,  nor can I access it by FTP.

What should I do, in order to enable the Debian for use on my LAN, and FTP.
Setting up accounts/users/groups etc....

I am a total Newb, so I will appreciate any and all help.

Regards
Ronnie