TrueType fonts (again)

Dear All,

I know the issue of TrueType fonts has been covered many times before,
but I
looked in the archives and didn't find the solution to my specific
problem.
Which is:

I upgraded to Sid. Mozilla, which previously had bitmapped fonts, now
has
TrueType fonts - apt-get dist-upgrade" seems to have handled this
automagically . That's great, but Konqueror, Kmail, and Sylpheed (among
others) are still stuck in bitmap mode. I tried installing a Chinese
TrueType
font (I use Chinese occasionally) from Sid, and Mozilla recognized it
without
a hitch. Again, the other apps mentioned above did not.

I'm perplexed as to why some apps would recognize the fonts while others
will
not. Sometime to do with the fontpath perhaps? But how to correct it?

TIA,
Robert