Re: VIA CPU's

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>
To: Debian-User <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: VIA CPU's
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:01:19 -0500

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 06:34, Chris Wilcox wrote:

> >On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 00:05, Steve Lamb wrote:
> > >
> > >     Funny, my brand new AMD 2500+ is as quiet as the PIII-667 it
> >replaced.
> > > Try something more than a $.09 cooling fan.
> >
> >What brand of fans and CPU cooler do you use?
> >

> Actually, my old Athlon 850 was running a 25 cooler and my new 8
> CoolerMaster cooler on an Athlon XP 2000+ runs the CPU cooler and WAY
> quieter! It's a Coolermaster CP5-8JD1F-0L and has a super-quiet 80mm fan
> which keeps my CPU under 55c, apparently it's good for CPU's up to the
> 3200+.  It'll fit all SocketA CPU's so if you're Athlon 1Ghz is running
> noisy it may be worth a look!

What do you mean by "25 cooler" and "8 CoolerMaster"?

Also, do you know what brand(s)/size(s) of case fans you use?

Wierd, those speech marks should have shown as good old english pound signs! :) In written terms,:

"Actually, my old Athlon 850 was running a £25 (twenty five pounds) cooler and my new £8 (eight pounds) CoolerMaster cooler on an Athlon XP 2000+ runs the CPU cooler and WAY quieter!"

I'm running Debian Sarge in an Antec LANBOY with two extra 80mm case fans (1 on front blowing air in, 1 on back sucking air out) which again are CoolerMaster. The case fans are 'clever' as in they lower and raise their rpm dependent upon internal case temperature and are dubbed as 'silent' and though they're not 100% silent they are very quiet fans. Their model number is DAF-S81

I've read reviews on the case and they nearly all say it has bad cooling, but I'm at a loss why, expecially if you use rounded IDE cables. I'm getting an average case temp of 30c which is fine by me, exspecially with 2 80GB HD's spinning away in there 24/7.

Hope this helps,

nry

Tired of 56k? Get a FREE BT Broadband connection http://www.msn.co.uk/specials/btbroadband