Re: Help me please with TAR

Piotrek wrote:

Hello,

I am quite a new user of Debian, so my question would sound a little bit stupid, but I've got a problem with TAR. I am using a testing version of Debian. I have upgraded TAR to 1.13.25-5 version and as I try to unpack tar.bz2 files with " tar xjf ... " I get such a message:

tar (child): bzip2: Cannot exec: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting no
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error exit delayed from previous error

Please help me,

Thanks,
Piotrek

Piotrek,

I thought it was a fine question. I ran into this just today, trying to unzip a tbz archive, and it made me scratch my head for a minute. First I thought something was wrong with tar (not reading the error closely enough and thinking about it.) Then I scratched my head and pondered longer trying to figure out how I had gone without having bzip2 installed for more than a day, since it is recomended by tar and required by so many other packages.

Too bad the error message doesn't have this line inserted after the first line:

tar (child): Is bzip2 installed and in your PATH (<insert path>)?

What do you think, would a message like that have pointed you in the right direction as soon as you read it?

Jacob
jacob@cachevalley.com